What a town! We are busily cramming as much into our final days as possible. Here's a peek into the past 24 hours. Talk about extremes.
On Thursday night we went to the Broadway in Tucson production of "Fiddler on the Roof." Theodore Bikel, age 85 btw, reprising his role as Tevye for the 2000th time, played to a full house in the huge Tucson Music Hall venue. It was a spectacular production. The first time I saw "Fiddler" on stage was in the summer of 1968 in London during my European trip with my college roommate Gayle. At age 20 I was wowed by the show. The story line of children bucking tradition and choosing their mates over their parents' objections really resonated with me. I also remember how far away from my family I felt and how choked up I was during the scene where all the families lit the Sabbath candles and when Hodel traveled alone to Siberia, leaving her parents, to follow her heart to her husband. "Sunrise, Sunset" made me realize how quickly the years had gone by. I felt so old, a grown-up traveling to Europe on my own, going to the theater in London...
Flash forward 42 years and let's take a look at the show from my perspective as a 62-year -old. Oy. Shall we begin with Tevye and Golde, the "old" mama and papa? The 25-year marriage they sing about ("Do You Love Me?")doesn't begin to rank against Michael's and my impending 40th wedding anniversary. Yikes! I'm older than Golde...by far. And I can't even talk about the "Sunrise, Sunset" wedding canopy scenario without grabbing for the tissues. My baby is married. Double oy. I can't count the number of productions of Fiddler I've attended. I think Edgewood and HPHS must've performed it 3 or 4 times during my tenure there. In any case, this is a show that holds up so well and has messages for those of all ages. I see it through new eyes each time and I never tire of it.
Taking a full 180 degree turn on Friday, we headed to the Tucson Rodeo, La Fiesta de los Vaqueros. Yeehaw! This is such a big event in town that the schools are closed for 2 days for Rodeo Break. Really. The local meteorologist on TV sported a bolo tie all week. The rodeo grounds were teeming with people, kids and adults, decked out in Western wear. Tall Stetsons in every color were perched on heads of all sizes from toddlers to grannies; people donned pony skin fringed vests; pointed cowboy boots; belts with giant buckles, bandanas; pouchy cowskin purses; lots of turquoise and silver. Excitement buzzed in the air. We crowded into the bleachers to root for the cowboys who rode bareback on bucking broncos. We cheered for the cowgirls who galloped like the wind on beautiful horses around barrels. We gasped as the cowboys roped steer and hogtied them. We cringed when angry bulls tossed riders from their backs and then dashed toward them to gore them with their horns. We chuckled at the rodeo clowns in their baggy pants and appreciated how they came to the aid of cowboys who had been bucked and lay sprawled in the dust. We were as one with the crowd who cheered lustily at these feats. In fact, I kinda wished I were wearing a cowboy hat instead of my sunhat. I ogled the stenciled boots... Maybe next year.I bought some fudge to console myself. Mmm hmmm. Fudge fixes most everything.
That evening we dined at Wildflower, a lovely upscale restaurant for which the kids had given us a gift card. We intentionally saved this gastronomic treat for the end of our stay here. We needed something positive to look forward to. It did not disappoint. Seated outside on the patio, I began with a frou-frou drink in a martini glass. Yes, it was pink. And delicious. Belvedere vodka, Grand Marnier, lemon juice and fresh raspberries. Yum! We shared mesquite-grilled artichokes (got the recipe from the waiter. So good!) with an aioli dip; and crispy calamari on a bed of arugula. I had an amazing scallop dinner with lemongrass, 'forbidden rice', and snap peas. Yum! Michael had maple braised short ribs and horseradish potatoes. Also Yum! For dessert we had a spectacular key lime tart with chantilly cream, blackberry puree and blackberry sorbet. Fabulous! Delicious outdoor dining. In February. Yes.
And this is how things are in Tucson, the Old Pueblo. It offers a little of everything, wrapped in a sunshiny vibe. We can't wait to come back for more.
0 comments:
Post a Comment