BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, January 7, 2011

Home Away







It's January and I'm sitting outside on the back terrace in my pajamas. I'm nibbling at sections of an orange picked from the tree in our backyard, so I need to wipe my sticky fingers before continuing to type on the laptop. Let me stop and pinch myself. OK. It's not a dream. The sun is dazzling, although the weather is only inching up into the 60's. (No problem. My PJs are flannel. Yes, I look lovely. )Fronds from the coco palm under which I'm seated are rustling. Their swish swish is interrupted only by a riotous birdsong from the noisy winged critter that chirps daily from the top of the saguaro cactus in the front yard.








We've settled into our rental house. Let me tell you about it. Perched atop a high ridge, we have 360 views that take our breath away. To the north we see the Catalina Mountain Range. Those mountains that I fell in love with last year are even more present in our daily life this year. I never cease marveling at their moods as the light shifts over them. Tans and browns segue to purples and pinks...and there's an occasional dusting of powdered sugar snow that tops them after a rainfall. That's our view from the terrace, pool, and giant picture window over the sink in the kitchen. Never has washing dishes been so panoramic! To the south and west we overlook the city of Tucson with the Tucson Mountain Range as a backdrop. That's our view from our giant bedroom window and the living and dining room windows, as well as from the shaded portico and waterfall in the front courtyard. The sunsets are technicolor wonders; streaks of bright red and orange over darkening mountains give way to myriad twinkling lights as the city electrifies itself for the evening. No blinds on our bedroom window (it's very secluded here) allow us to fall asleep each night watching Tucson twinkling below us. Magical.




Yes, we lucked out again with our house selection. This year's house is in a more suburban neighborhood which was developed in the 80's. (Unfortunately, some of the decor is stuck in the 80's as well. Burgundy, hunter green, mauve, aqua...you know what I mean.) Our 4 bedroom, 3 bath home is a sprawling ranch. The master suite is obscenely large Michael practices golf in there. (Don't tell the landlord.) He thinks it's his own fairway. Or maybe it's a giant putting green. I will aim for accuracy. The other bedrooms are clear across the house in a separate wing, so there's wonderful privacy for all when we have houseguests. The kitchen is spacious with more than enough counter space and cabinetry.








We are 2 miles from any main roads, and getting here involves uphill driving on roads that snake up the foothills. Since there is an observatory somewhere nearby there are no streetlights allowed. I fully expect to find ourselves sleeping in the car some evening when we come home from a late dinner/drink night and can't find our street!








Our landlord, who built a new house 3 years ago so his kids could attend a different school, lives just 3 miles away, and he is most attentive and accommodating, while not being intrusive. From time to time he'll text me and announce that he's dropping off a blender, extra towels, an inflated basketball (yes, we shoot hoops in the driveway!), hand weights, a Scrabble game. He's eager to make us comfortable. (I'd be eager to help him redecorate!! More on that later.) In fact, he confessed that he purchases the paint that's used on football field grass to spruce up the small sections of dormant grass in our backyard. Now that's service!






So, here we are. Feeling lucky. Looking forward to new adventures. Perched high up on our ridge, we really do feel like we're on top of the world.

0 comments: